PlayOn is a media server which streams videos from popular sources (Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc) to your computer(s) via the UPnP protocol. In this guide we’ll be installing the PlayOn media server on your XBMC-running HTPC to stream to itself or installing on another Windows-based computer you plan to stream from.
- Windows XP SP2+, Vista, 7, Server 2003, Windows Home Server SP1+
- PlayOn (14-day trail available)
- XBMC (or any other media center with UPnP support)
- Hulu account recommended if needed
- Netflix account if needed
Setting Up PlayOn
- Download and install PlayOn from http://playon.tv
NOTE: For issues installing PlayOn, see system requirements.
- Click the Channels tab. Configure your channels.
- If desired, click the Social Network tab. Configure your social networks.
- To enter your license information, click the Registration tab.NOTE: Free trial expires in 14 days from installation.
Adding UPnP Source to XBMC
- Go to Videos > Files > Add Source.
- Select <None>.
- Type: upnp:// and then click OK.
- UPnP Media Servers (Auto-Discover) will display in your Files list. Click it.
- Click PlayOn (ComputerName).
- Browsing the sources is identical to browsing your usual XBMC media.
Streaming to XBMC is not without its bugs. I’m not sure if this is unique to me but I have to click videos multiple times before they’ll start buffering. Nonetheless, this is a great, simple way to get Hulu and Netflix on your XBMC system. Head over and get PlayOn.
Please share your thoughts in the comments below. For any questions, please ask in the community forums.